Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group

Dedicated to the Study of the Canadian Expeditionary Force

The Great War of 1914 - 1919

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 51 Battalion CEF
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:26 pm 
Charles Belanger 51 Battalion CEF May13 1915 Attestation papers No.437227 Can anyone tell me what or where the men of the 51 went. Charles enlisted at Edmonton at the above date. Does anyone have any history of this Battalion could not find anything after 07/18/1916 in war diarys of the 12th Infantry Brigade of the 4th Division. Charles served from 1915 to 1919. Hope someone can help.
Thanks Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:52 pm 

Hi Tony,

As far as I am aware, nothing has been written on 51 Bn. It was broken up and its men disbursed upon arriving in England.

You will have to look at his personnel file to see which unit he went to. You can either order his file through Library and Archives Canada, or hire a researcher such as myself to do the work for you. LAC charges 40 cents per page, plus postage. I tend to work for cheaper rates on Pers files, since I can digitize the file.

From that point, if you want to continue my services, I can go through the Pers File and War Diaries and create the history of where Charles served.

OMRS 7199, CSMMI 1773, MCC of C 3371

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:15 pm 

There is nothing in the Matrix on the 51st Battalion other than the listing in the Summary Table and the terminology "UK", which I see from the Love text referred to the 51st providing "Garrison Duty" in the United Kingdom.

If you find information, please post it back here so we can include it in the matrix database.

Contact Me Anytime!
CEFSG Sites and Links

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:01 am 

We have had one tiny thread concerning this unit [url]http://www.cefresearch.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=673&highlight=

[/url] .

The 51st began recruiting at the beginning of January, 1915. In the summer of 1915 two drafts of 250 men each were sent overseas and the remainder sailed as a unit in April, 1916. More than two thousand men were enlisted in all.

They were an original unit of the 12th Brigade in the 4th Division then forming in England. However, during the summer all their men were sent to France as reinforcements for other units. The shell of the battalion was disbanded and replaced in the 12th Brigade by the 78th Battalion, newly arrived from Canada.

I do not have a list of which men went where. However, I have a list of 425 men who were killed. Some of the battalions in which they were serving at the time of their deaths included the following: 49th (68), 15th (65), 4th (48), 14th (46), 46th (46), 7th (38), 2nd (28), 1st (16).

One might assume the others were distributed in a similar manner. Note that there seems very little rhyme or reason to the assignments, save for those destined for the 49th (Edmonton) Battalion. Many of those were taken on by the 49th at Shorncliffe late in 1915. These were from the two reinforcement drafts.

I am still researching the 51st and am always anxious to hear new snippets of information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:52 pm 

James:

Thanks for that older link and the new information. I did search for old postings by Battalion in the titles but not in the text, so if others find similar situations, please let me know.

The Matrix still had the 51st as one of the "Other Battalions" with little information and no page of their own. With you information I have now moved the 51st to the "Reorganized Units / Reinforcements" and put the links to the two postings as well as the new 51st page on the Matrix Summary Table. If you have additional information or want to edit the information I "leeched" from your posts. please go ahead, now or in the future.

Updated Matrix Summary Table

51st Battalion Page

links updated July 28, 2014

Contact Me Anytime!
CEFSG Sites and Links

Post subject: Re: 51 Battalion CEF
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:35 pm 

The following image of a 51st man was sent to me by Morris Felton, I presume in Rutland, UK. It states he was in the 51st and the numbers match.

M. G. Felton wrote:
The memorial is in the church of St John the Evangelist in Ryhall, Rutland, UK.

The VAC CVWM shows him in the 14th Battalion at the time of his death. I have submitted this image to the CVWM site.

That matches what was submitted about movement in the 51st (Matrix Link)

Here is his AP:

Contact Me Anytime!
CEFSG Sites and Links

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 am 

Morris has now linked the UK site to our CEFSG posting here. Go to this page for that memorial and click the LINKS tab,

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/n ... e%3DRyhall

They also mention the CEFSG under the COMMENTS.

Contact Me Anytime!
CEFSG Sites and Links

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:40 pm 

Thanks for posting that Richard. They have a great little search engine. We have a huge number of men who were from England, I'm sure this will help us find their memorials. It has been added to my long list of bookmarks.

"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.
To steal from many is research."

Interested in all things 21st Battalion CEF.
21st Battalion Website
21st Battalion Discusion Group
Personal website

21stbattalion@kos.net